Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

A Kona day with Aunt Kalila and Kayak Crasher

Well.. some more visitors I had..! It's been really nice to get to visit with everyone! Terra and Aunty Gayle (or .. I should say Kalila, her Hawaiian name which me and Terra proceeded to call her throughout the day) came this week (and are still here until Saturday).  We had a full day... us Snider's can't just stay sitting around.. we have to get out there and get busy! 


To start the morning off, we took it upon ourselves to enjoy some shaved ice. Cherry to be exact. Yummm.



Next, we took a tour of one of the Kona Coffee farms...



A berry..? I think not. A coffee bean (they call them cherry beans, I think).



This is what the little guy looks like when the outside is peeled..


That shell is peeled again!! And then there were two.




Finally, one last peeling. The more I looked at my hands in these pictures, the more I think I need to use some anti-wrinkle cream on them.



Then they're dried to exactly 11% humidity before they are processed. 
There, now you know a little bit more about the beverage you drink every morning!



They had a bunch of fruit trees there as well, of which they later gave us plenty of free samples...  This one? A papaya tree.



An orange tree...




And.. mango tree..! These little guys are just starting to come in season.




We went snorkeling for the afternoon. Terra was quite focused and swam amongst an array of  kayakers trying to get around her.  Next, we settled down for some nice Thai food.

And then, there was the incident at Walmart. All I wanted was some gum! But of course, not thinking, I threw out my receipt just as I was going out the door. And what do you know, the theft buzzer starts going off. Great.  So, here is my Aunt Gayle and I digging through the Walmart garbage just so I can keep my stinkin' gum! That's not even the worst part.  These other Walmart workers come over to us and are trying to pull away the garbage from us because they think we are trying to steal receipts so we can return things there later!! So I used my basketball moves to box them out of the area while tring to scrounge for this little scrunched up receipt. ALL I WANTED WAS A FEW PIECES OF GUM!!! And this is my story of almost getting kicked out of Walmart.

It was an eventful day to say the least! Wish I could have seen you guys longer, thanks for coming to visit!

3 comments:

Consumer Rights said...

How humiliating it must have been to dig through the trash to prove ownership of YOUR property! You may not have known this, but you are under no obligation to stop for store security alarms or show anyone your receipt. Alarms are simply there as a deterrent to shoplifters, but they don't prove theft, and they don't give anyone the right to stop you.

Receipt and bag checks are simply consent searches - employees ask to search your property and you can choose whether or not to allow the inspection. They cannot stop you from leaving the store until you show your receipt, that would be unlawful detention and they could face criminal and civil penalties. Store workers can only stop a customer when they witness him shoplifting.

Next time, just say No Thank You to the employee who asks for your receipt and keep on walking. :-)

Bri said...

Thanks for the comment... I'll take note of this next time! Although I will probably never throw away my receipt before I walk out of the store again :)

Anonymous said...

Brianna, it was so good to see you and hang out for a time. I also really wished it would have worked out to meet again. You are a good tour guide. Terra went snokling again and we laid on a beach for an afternoon...relaxing before we got back to real life.
Aunt Kalila

Post a Comment

 
Turn up the HEAT | TNB