Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Top 8 foods of Hawaii


Welcome to the Hawaiian Food Awards! Here are the top 8 contenders: 


1. Kalua Pig - roasted underground and soo delicious! 




2. Lumpia - this isn't actually Hawaiian food per say (it's Filipino), but there are a lot of Filipino people here, and I got to try some of this stuff home made - let me just say - it brok' da mout.                                


 3. Haupia Icecream (Coconut) - Roselani is the best (from grocery store)


4.  Pork Lahaina from Maui Tacos -  (order it wet, and you get this yummy sauce all over it.)






4. Coconut Prawn Pizza from Big Island Pizza - topped with prawn & coconut of course, but also red onion, peanuts, and peanut sauce.  MMmmm... soo yummy!


6. Avacados - they are gigantic over here! And reallly good. I had many a'avacado this past 4 months.


7. Apple Bananas - these little mini guys are loaded with flavor - more than regular bananas



8. Malasada's - I liked them a lot when I first tried them, but the novelty wore off after a while.  Best one I tried was a peanut butter and jelly one from Baker Tom's (a couple minutes drive from Hilo)

Honorable Mentions: 


This is a Loco Moco - I'm only putting it on here because the locals like it, not because I do.  I've actually never tried it, and probably won't. Maybe you'll understand once I share the recipe:  A hamburger patty and fried eggs stacked on a couple scoops of rice. To top it off, it's smothered in gravy. Ya, not really my thing. 

Shaved ice is very popular  too, pretty much just charge you $4 for ice with syrup on it. But it's probably worth it.  If you try it sometime, get it with the Snow cap (sweetened condensed milk), or with icecream in the middle! 


Now you can understand why I probably put on about 20 pounds while being here. If you're on a diet, don't come to Hawaii!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Turn up the HEAT | TNB